Understanding Domestic Violence
1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence or sexual assault in her lifetime.
1 in 6 men will experience domestic violence in his lifetime.
1 in 5 high school students report being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner.
- Estimates of elder abuse range up to 10 percent with at least 5 million elders experiencing financial exploitation and abuse each year by someone they depend on for care and protection.
- Attempting to leave an abusive, controlling partner is difficult and dangerous.
- Witnessing domestic abuse has devastating effects on the social, emotional, and cognitive development of children.
- Recent homicides in local suburban communities brutally expose the lethal consequences of domestic terror left hidden and unaddressed.
- Our suburbs are not immune to domestic violence.
- Domestic violence is prevalent in all cultures, all communities and all neighborhoods.